Follow Us

Monday, October 7, 2013

It's My Way or the Highway Yo!



Yes, I am the expert! After all I have a piece of paper that says so. So there! You are a mindless idiot and therefore you should listen and live by every word I say. Just who do you think you are?!(Rhetorical question, so please shut your trap!) How would you know more about your body than me? After all I've spent all of 10 minutes with you. You've only been with your body for... uh..mmm. Well anyway, I'm in charge!

Wow, how many times have I had this feeling from a medical professional, trainer and maybe even a friend or two. Knowing me I've probably been like this to other folks as well. I'm working on that. 

The point is, you are the expert on you. At least you should be. Sometimes we have such an overload of information that we get disoriented. We start to jump from one thing to the next never really giving time and thought to one method to gauge it's effectiveness.

Doctors, trainers, friends, family, writers all have opinions. However, when it comes to your health and wellness, go with what works for you. What works for me may be totally different. After all we all have different likes, goals, DNA, ages, weights, talents, gifts, hormone levels, body types, medical issues and the list goes on. 

Now determining what works for you is often the sticking point. With an overload of information, how do we figure out what works for us?

Here are a handful of tips that might help.

1. Pick one plan and stick with it for 4-6 weeks. Whether it is an eating plan or a workout plan, give it some time. Rome wasn't built in a day.
2. Keep a log. If it is an eating plan, keep track of your hunger and how you feel. What's your digestion doing? Is it overly difficult? If it's an exercise plan, keep track of the reps and weight or of the time limits so as to see the little improvements.
3. Do you feel good or are you constantly run down and exhausted?
4. Is this something you can continue long term?

Chances are it is not going to be super easy to figure this stuff out. It takes some detective work, however when you hone in on that sweet spot, that's when things really start to click. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to get rid of the stuff that doesn't work and keep the stuff that does.

You are the expert on you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin'?