Follow Us

Monday, January 6, 2014

To Supplement or Not to Supplement?

The last couple of weeks we've seen news stories about the benefits of multivitamins and supplements in general . This is a revolving news story and one that keeps the confusion of supplementation alive. 

I have supplemented for years and honestly I'm as confused as the next person. I want to find things that work to help not only my general health but more specifically my Rheumatoid Arthritis issues.

I love this visual data  piece below. It is not only beautiful but useful. Information is Beautiful produced this and it is super cool. There is an interactive version as well which when you click on the individual bubbles, it takes you to the scientific study supporting the placement of the bubble in the hierarchy. Slick!

I always ask myself why all the confusion on an issue and really you can almost always answer that question with one word; MONEY. Big Pharma makes a ton on supplements.

So what is one to do? I say let's be our own scientist and if we are interested in a supplement, read up on it and try it out with an open mind. Give it 30 days and if we don't see any noticeable differences then kick it to the curb. I'm guessing that most likely we will be left with very few supplements to pop. 

That being said, are there supplements that you can already say work for you? 

For me, folic acid is one. I get a lot of mouth sores with my RA and when I take just at 2,000 mg of folic acid, I get dramatically fewer of those painful things. And I've not only added it to get that result, I've also taken the folic away and experienced the unpleasant result as well. So folic acid stays in my pill box. 

I'd love to hear about what really works for you. Leave me a comment!



Information Is Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin'?