Follow Us

Friday, December 6, 2013

Best Soup EVAH!




Man nothing hits the spot on a cold wintery day like soup. A mug of soup is so comforting to me. I remember as a kid, my mom making bowls of Campbell’s Tomato Soup.  I loved that stuff.

Not a fan of the canned stuff now, but I still make soup often especially in the winter. 

One of my absolute fav’s is Butternut Squash. A little sweet, a little salty, smooth and garlicky with a little crunch, mmmm. Making myself hungry. 

So if I tell you a secret will you keep it to yourself? All right then. I’ll disclose my super secret Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. Guaranteed to rock you face!

Butternut Squash Soup
1 Butternut Squash
1 Medium Onion chopped
4 Cloves Garlic chopped
32 oz. Chicken Broth (more or less)
1 Tbsps. Coconut Oil
2 Cups Kale (washed and torn)
2 Tbsps. Honey
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flake
Salt
Pepper
Bacon
Feta Cheese
Toasted Pecans

Peel squash, cut in half and scrape out seeds. Cut in cubes and put in a large sauce pan with the chicken broth to cover. Boil until very tender. While that is cooking, sauté your onions and half the garlic in the coconut oil until caramelized. Dump the caramelized onions into the pan with the squash. In the same pan you cooked the onions, cook a few chopped up slices of bacon until crispy. Dump the Kale into the pan with the squash and the remaining garlic. Blend up with a stick blender until nice and smooth. If you don’t have a stick blender, carefully blend small batches of the soup in a canister blender. If you put too much hot soup in a canister blender you are asking for a napalm bath so be careful.

After blended, add honey, red pepper flake and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a sprinkle of Feta cheese, bacon and toasted pecans on top. Enjoy!

Luckily in preparation for this article, I have a batch in my very own kitchen. In fact the cup I photographed was very delicious just a few minutes ago. I did forget to put the pecans on top so I will have to go make another cup for myself. What a shame. 

QUICK TIP: Earlier in the week I made a Black Bean Soup which I’ll share at another time. But when I make soup, I try to make a big batch and the extra gets put in pint wide mouth jars. I leave about an inch and a half head space and freeze the jars. Then a few weeks later when I want soup, BAM! There it is! 1 pint jar makes a nice big bowl but I usually just eat about half at a time with some form of protein on the side. Those jars are also nice to share with friends. Mine get pretty jazzed when they see one of those jars coming their way. I also mix up salad dressing in pint jars. 

There you have it. Stay warm and feed your body the stuff that comforts you inside and out. Good wholesome and nutritious food will always satisfy more deeply than the fast packaged convenience food.

P.S. Go ahead and share the recipe and my blog too while you're at it! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin'?