Follow Us

Monday, August 19, 2013

Short and Sweet





Back in the day, like 1 year ago, I use to think that I had to burn the midnight oil on the treadmill to see weight loss results. I would walk forever or I would punish myself with running even when it made me feel bad. I just had that mindset from year after year of hearing about cardio, cardio cardio! 

But luckily a shift is occurring. In the last year or so, fitness for women has begun to shift from cardio only to strength training and strength/cardio combination workouts. We may have Crossfit to thank for this shift. Who or whatever, I say a big "THANK YOU!"

I fell into these type of workouts earlier this year while working a strength training plan. The workouts were mostly weight lifting with 10 minute high intensity workout finishers at the end. Loved it! They were hard but over quickly so I never got to dreading them like those long treadmill sessions. Also they were interesting. You couple or triple or whatever combination you like, different exercises and reps. The combinations are endless. And the potential benefits from these type of finishers is amazing. Done correctly, they have potential to spike your metabolism and burn extra calories for many hours afterwards. Do these finishers alone 3-4 times a week and you will be well on your way to a new level of fitness.

So how do you know if you are doing these workouts most effectively:

1. Out of breath - If you can carry on a conversation, you're not working hard enough. If you can answer the phone and pretend you aren't breathing hard, you're not working hard enough. You want to be good and breathless.
2. Sweat - These workouts should trigger a lot of sweat. Even after you stop, your metabolism will be racing and you will continue to sweat for a good amount of time. You will be HOT in more ways than one my dear!

The first few times you try these types of workouts it may be difficult to push that hard and that's ok. It does take some getting use to and any movement is good except for sloppy form. Do these workouts with the best form you can. When you notice your form is slipping, then slow down or stop and walk in place until you can pick up where you left off with good form. I've noticed that if I keep a journal of my workouts,   when I go to repeat a workout I can gauge my increase in fitness by the number of rounds or reps completed.

These workouts are not for everyone. They are very intense, so if that worries you, then modify. Slow them down. Do 2 or 3 rounds and time yourself to see how long three rounds take you. Keep track and repeat and try to make the next workout just a little faster. Nothing is set in stone, so play with the formula until you find what works for your situation.

A workout does not have to be hours long to be beneficial. So in that vain, today's workout is short but not so sweet. Take as long as you need to complete but try to do them as quickly as possible. If one round is easy, then make it two to five rounds long.


Post your time in the comments if you would like to share. 



For Time
20 push-ups
20 crunches
20 squats
20 jumping jacks
20 lunges



No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin'?