Follow Us

Monday, May 6, 2013

Bedrock


 

Lately I've been reading and watching a lot about Crossfit and Functional Fitness. The more I see the more I like. The functional concept is really what I'm after. Being able to do everyday tasks with less pain and dysfunction is what we all want as we age. If you don't use it you lose it right. So by varying what we do and how we work out we tend to become better at all the little things. At least that is the idea and I tend to buy in to it.

I've never worked out at a "Box" (that's crossfit speak for gym) but I have been doing some workouts at home with the same concept of  Metabolic Conditioning. Short bursts of exertion that tax the system on all levels are challenging but fun and the pain is over relatively fast so that you can go on with your day.

Here is what I did today:

AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) in 7 minutes

20 Wall Balls
50 Jump Rope Singles
20 KB Deadlifts

I used a 10 pound exercise ball for the wall balls and 2 kettle bells for the deadlifts. I have a 25 and a 30 pound kettle bell, so I used the heavier one in my weakest hand. 

So the totals are:  I completed 3 full rounds and most of the 4th in 7 minutes which came out to  360 reps. 

Not too bad. I would have liked to put in one more movement like a squat or a short sprint, but I'm nursing a knee injury and can't do all the movements I would like.

Give it a shot and let me hear about your totals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin'?